Sandy Hook NJ Trip
Gateway National Recreation Area
September 8-10, 2017
Don’t let summer slip away just yet. Join us for one final trip “down the shore” September 8-10. It’s close, so you can come and go to meet your sports, band, and other school responsibilities while still enjoying a little bit more of summer.
Scoutmaster In Charge (SiC)
Mr. Sean Harper
(Departure may change upon interest; likely Friday evening, but may be early Saturday morning instead.)
Departure, leave at 5PM sharp for the shore. Bring a brown bag dinner to eat in camp or in the car on the way down if OK with your driver.
- Cycle-touring around the island
- Early lunch in Camp, and then head for the Coast Guard Station for 1:00 PM Tour
- Saturday afternoon boating with canoes and kayaks, or more cycling for those that would like
- After dinner, if it is clear, we’ll go to the observation deck at the North end of the peninsula for a beautiful view of Manhattan
- Breakfast in camp and head to the lighthouse for a tour. At 9:00 AM.
- More biking, fishing etc.
- Clean up – left over lunch
- Departure early afternoon
Dress in layers for fall weather near the ocean. You should have appropriate clothing for cycling in the hot sun, fishing / swimming near / in the ocean, cool evenings, and rain.
We will be getting around Sandy Hook by bicycle. You will not be able to get to the Coast Guard station or the Lighthouse without one. Helmets are REQUIRED. You will not be allowed to ride without a helmet.
$30.00 per person
This trip is limited to 24 scouts and leaders. We have access to 4 adjacent sites with 6 occupants per site per night. If there is excess capacity, we’ll consider opening the trip to siblings (with parent) or perhaps upcoming Webelos scouts. Please register early to ensure your spot on the trip.
We need one more adult to tow either the Troop Trailer or the Canoe Trailer.